Thursday, November 10, 2016

Stormy Seas -- A Work in Progress

Right now I'm working on a new quilt for a beautiful new child.  Here are some pictures of the storm at sea I'm working on for Vivian, my newest niece, born in October.  



I've never done one of these before but have admired them ever since I saw one in a class I was taking in New York.  It was beautiful and has been on my to do list ever since. 



I meant to complete this before Vivian's birth, but lately that just isn't how I work.  I haven't met her in person yet, but even seeing pictures of her has helped me feel that I know her a bit and has helped me work on her quilt.  The process could be streamlined but for the fact that I'm using scraps.  It is taking much longer this way but I do love the results.  



Sadly, this quilt feels right for our time.  I am sickened by our election results and for what they mean for all of our children.  We had a better country, and a better, fairer system within reach just days ago and we threw it away.  We have shirked our responsibility to ourselves, our country and the global community.  We have made the world far less safe and far less just.  We have cleared a path for a despot to rule as he sees fit, without integrity or respect for so many of us, and I fear without checks.  For Vivian, and for all of our children who have been born into this stormy sea through no fault of their own, I hope we can find a life boat, and a way to shepard them to safety and justice and peace.  They certainly deserve better than the nightmare we have just handed them.

Friday, November 4, 2016

Patches

I've been making the most of my needle turn appliqué skills lately by sewing patches to my daughter's pants.  She has a way of ripping holes into the knees like none of my other kids.  

She had three pants that needed repairs, so I went with a Frida Kahlo Day of the Dead fabric from Alexander Henry for the first one, 



some leftover EPP hexies for my second, 



and then I hit my stride and went for an ocean theme for the third. 





Most of the patches on this last pair aren't actually needed, strictly speaking, but I felt like they really wanted to be there, so I included them.  To make the patches I cut out the portion of fabric that I wanted for the patch with about a quarter inch extra all around. Then I ironed interfacing to the back and pinned them in place.  After I decided on placement I appliquéd them to the pants. I've done this kind of patching a lot and have found them to be durable and much more fun than traditional patches.  I've even done some for myself...