Saturday, May 9, 2015

Grazing Geese

I finished a new quilt this week!  It’s just a little guy, measuring about 36”x40”, but full of personality.  

Actually, I made it out of an orphan block that I originally made to be a part of a Nursery Rhyme quilt for my youngest son, Miles.  I’ve had such a hard time bringing that quilt to life.  Well, that quilt isn’t alive yet, but I hope it will be some day. I finally decided that I needed to start over with just a few of the blocks and build it again.  That’s left me with some cast offs that I really like but have nowhere to go.  I considered making them into placemats, but it would be unreasonable to ask people not to eat on them.  I also considered making them into journal or notebook covers, but I’d have to cut them down and I don’t think that would do justice to all the hand stitching involved.  Putting them all into one quilt hasn’t worked for me, so I thought I’d try to make each square the focal point of it’s own quilt.  I used some of the piecing I had tried to incorporate unsuccessfully into the original, failed attempt, and really liked it.  The quilt is bright and makes me happy.  




For the back I thought I’d use up some orange material by Kaffe Fassett that just looked like the path the geese may have taken while grazing.  I didn’t have nearly enough so I thought about picking up some more, but in the end I sewed it up with a few solids I already had.  I’m not a machine quilter, but I’m trying my best to learn, and I quilted straight lines into this quilt, some vertical, some horizontal, all about an inch apart.  The binding is made from scraps from the quilt.  

I wasn’t sure how this would turn out, but I like it and am excited to make a few more.  


I’m linking up to Finish It Up Friday on crazymomquilts.com.