Friday, March 25, 2016

A Finish: Chessboard Quilt



I finished the quilting and binding of the chessboard quilt that I began with my daughters last year.  I posted about it here and here.  It’s probably the season, but I keep thinking of Easter eggs when I look at it.  We’ll have to improvise some chess pieces and take it with us to our Easter lunch to try it out.  

I ended up feeling prettty good about the quilting.  I like how dense it is, since it will get some hard wear.  The design was easy, and I ended up trying to imitate tiger stripes rather than trees, but the process was the same.  I gave myself permission to be a little more organic with the shapes than called for in the tutorial I used.  In some places I really like it but I do wonder whether it would look significantly different if I had been more disciplined about the shapes, and tried to make them a bit more uniform.  I need to try this again soon, but the two quilt projects I have coming up don’t lend themselves to this design.  




I used a Kaffe Fassett print that I love for the back.  I had two or three yards of it and felt it needed a home.  When I ran out of that I used a solid purple.  It's either a Kona Solid or an American Made Brand.  I’m not sure which shade, but it went perfectly with the targets print.  For the binding I used the leftover backing.  I didn’t want it to go to waste and it was just the right size for a strip or two of binding, all the way around.  I considered using a solid for the binding, but felt that the print would be better for using up scraps and for hiding dirt and food stains.  

The finished quilt is about 64”x64”.  




I have been thinking a lot about chess pieces for this guy.  I don’t paint my nails, but I’ve heard that you can paint rocks with nail polish and they hold up well.  I thought it might be fun to pick some smallish rocks to paint.  Then make a little drawstring bag to hold the pieces.  

I like this quilt.  We should have a lot of fun with it and I love that my daughters were involved in the process.  If I were to do it again, I would consider using a water resistant backing.  I may still add a snap or a velcro closure and a strap if I feel like it would make it easier to cary around.  We’ll have to give it a try and see…



Linking up with Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.  


No comments: