Friday, February 12, 2016

Dragon Bag Finished!



I started working on this a week or so ago.  I intended to finish it up early this week, but couldn’t find all the needed hardware locally, so I ended up ordering it.  I completed as much as possible without the missing pieces (hardware and webbing on the shoulder straps), and it waited.  The delivery arrived yesterday, and the bag was complete within about 20 minutes.  



I mentioned here that I had some changes I’d like to make on the bag.  I tried to reinforce the pocket for the water bottle with extra stitching and I did line the top with elastic to give it more support.  I also used the magnetic snap for the front pocket, which should work easily for James.  And I made him a little matching zipper pouch for all of the treasures he collects but doesn’t want to lose.  
Front Pocket

Zipper Pouch

I also made adjustments to the shoulder straps.  I liked them before.  Actually, they were maybe my favorite part of the bag, but they were impractical.  So I quilted some straps with two layers of batting and bound them with the dragon fabric.  Next time I will use bias binding, but I didn’t think of it until I’d already made the binding.  I also used webbing and the clamps that are on most backpacks to hold the straps tight.  They seem to work really well.  The red webbing isn’t an exact match, but I am happy with it anyway.  


Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts.

No comments: